If you are traveling but still want to stick with a healthy diet, and don’t want to go out to eat for every meal, you are in luck. Here is a list of healthy meals to make in a hotel room using nothing but a refrigerator and microwave! And maybe not even both!
*This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission on recommendations at no cost to you.
Meal Prep like a Pro
Even if you are spending a lot of time on the road, it can be a really smart idea to get ahead in the meal prep department!
You can check out some of the options below to hopefully get an idea of what your shopping list should look like once you get to your hotel room.
Omelets are actually quite easy to make using a mug and a microwave. If your hotel is equipped with a mini-fridge, you can easily store a carton of eggs, some diced meat and/or veggies to make your omelet with every morning!
Here are some quick omelet ideas you can do in a microwave with an egg-safe cooker.
- Egg in a Mug from Frugal Haus Frau
- Weight Watchers Omelet from Viral Today
- Veggie Omelet in a Mug from Life Family Fun
- Loaded Potato Omelet from $5 Dinners
Rice bowls are one of my favorite quick go-tos with instant rice packs like Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. These little pouches are easy to store and easy to cook in the microwave.
Combine these easy to cook rice pouches with some microwavable veggies and you are on your way having healthy meals to make in a hotel while you travel.
- Quick Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Cuban Black Beans and Rice from Cilantro and Citronella
- Tuna Rice Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice from The Flavours of Kitchen
Now, maybe lunch meat isn’t one of the healthiest meals to make in a hotel room, but it’s a lot better than the fast-food joint down the street, am I right?
All of these wraps have easily stored ingredients in a mini-fridge and quickly assembled without the microwave.
- BLT Wraps with Secret Sauce from Fox Valley Foodie
- Granola Crunch Apple Peanut Butter Sandwich Wraps from Recipe Nova
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Wraps from Diabetes Strong
- Hawaiin BBQ Chicken Wraps from Tastes Better from Scratch
There is no healthier way to be healthy on the road than by making sure you get your daily dose of greens!
Some of these salads you could prep ahead of time and bring in a salad keeper, or simply dump all of the ingredients together for a quick-fix salad. Just remember to bring a bowl big enough so you aren’t eating out of the ice bucket like some people. (Cough ME cough).
- Chicken Shawarma Salad from Our Salty Kitchen
- Bacon Avocado Chicken Salad from Yellow Bliss Road
- Asian Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing from House of Nash Eats
- Berry Orange Spinach Salad from Yay for Food
Ramen Noodle Dishes
Remember those super cheap ramen noodles from college? Well, you can actually put a healthy spin on them in your adult life. What better healthy meal to make in a hotel room than a noodle–ee comfort food from your youth?
Here are some recipes that take those noodles you know and love and make them a little more grown up.
- Chicken and Veggies Ramen Noodles from The Flavours of Kitchen
- Beef and Broccoli Ramen Noodles from Chef Savvy
- Vegan Spicy Thai Peanut Ramen from Rabbit and Wolves
- 15 Minute Lo Mein from Pinch of Yum
Oatmeal is another one of those awesome comfort foods that are great to have while you travel. Plus, with instant oats, it’s super easy to whip up with nothing but a hotel microwave.
If you are ready to beef-up your oatmeal and make it even healthier, get some inspiration from some of these recipes.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal from Brewing Happiness
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal from Fit Mitten Kitchen
- Gingerbread Oatmeal from Veggiekins
- PB&J Overnight Oats from From My Bowl
You can travel and be healthy too!
At the end of the
Hopefully, these recipes inspired you a little. Did I miss something? Feel free to leave a comment with your favorite healthy meals to make in a hotel room while you travel!